Thursday 11 September 2014

Exploring New Horizons

It was just an ordinary Friday morning but as soon as I looked at the calendar I smiled because it was not an ordinary day, not anymore!! It was teacher’s day…soon I was flooded with my school memories, memories that had made my life so special. For a moment I hated my bag which was all packed to go to a frivolous conference. I didn’t want to go. I just wished to be back at school with all my friends.

Reluctantly, I got up to get ready. I was not excited and even got really late. I left my house at 11:40am when my call time was of 12:00pm. I knew I was late but, I didn’t care. Therefore, I reached at the hotel at 2pm. All through the way I tried to smile and muster up little excitement but it was all in vain and thus, I soon gave up on it.

Finally, after about two hours of travelling and heading in the wrong direction once, I reached the hotel where the so called “AIESEC in Delhi IIT September Leadership Conference 2014” was supposed to take place. Not an impressive hotel but, then I didn’t even have any expectations. Actually, I didn’t have any expectation from this whole conference.

I get my luggage out of car and stand in a queue to get it checked for any eatables. Like seriously, I felt so like a school kid!! I get my room number and head inside with my luggage. OMG!! My luggage was so heavy. I reach stairs and stare at them for a while. I wait to see if someone would help me but, then I tell myself that I’m a strong, independent girl who doesn’t need anyone’s help. I pick up my luggage and start climbing the stairs. I reach my room but, stand out for while to catch my breath.

Now, while writing this do I realize that the first step into that room 118 was so special. I didn’t know that just an ordinary hotel room would make my life turn upside down. It was as if someone had pushed me into a hole. My fairytale had started as soon as I had stepped into that room and I was the ALICE who had gotten into wonderland unknowingly.

Day 1

I met my department (Youth Marketing Musketeers-YMM) managers and members in room. I felt awkward sitting there but, soon I saw myself listening to the weirdest and craziest things about people. I was surprised at every story. When it was my turn to share, well, let’s just say I didn’t have much to share.

After this ice breaking sessions, our managers asked us to prepare a “Jive” and “Roll call” for our department. We started with jiving and the song selected was “tu lagawe jab lipstick”. Oh God!! In the beginning I just couldn’t stop laughing as I heard the song, let alone think of any possible steps for it. But, soon I found myself following the steps and actually enjoying. We had prepared our jive and in the process a few other members and managers had joined us. Then, our managers left us for a while and we had a crazy DARE game in which we gave all the possible wild tasks.

Till evening I had met so many people and when I went for the first Plenary I found myself shouting my department and DI (Delhi IIT) roll call at the top of my voice. Even though, I’m not a dancer and quite shy, I simply loved jiving before every session. With evening session our conference truly began. We met our LCP (Local Committee President) and Executive Board (EB) members. We officially started the conference.

As the night extended we touched all kinds of topics from abstract to serious world issues. I never imagined myself seeking solutions about world issues in middle of the night or for that matter proposing an Executive Board member in front of about 150 people. I could already feel myself coming out of the cocoon, emerging out as a more confident and independent person.

But, the journey had just started. First night our conference finished around 3 am. After this we were not supposed to sleep since we had our skuling night at which I cheered for my team at the top of my voice. So, this first day I slept at 5 am and woke up at 7:30 am.

Day 2

With just around 2 hours of sleep, everyone woke up and got ready to make it to the morning conference at 10:30 am. As usual it started with a jive. We finally met our official chair for the conference and started the session with the punishments. Yeah, people who were late to the conference were given punishments.

The conference sessions on second day focused on familiarizing the new recruits with the actual work they had to do in their respective departments. Also, we had one-two-one chat with our president and our chair (who was an ex-LCP in Russia) too told us about the Russian culture. We had auctions for the prom of the executive board members in between our sessions, which were so amazing and hilarious. Two girls from my department got dates for the prom with an EB member and yes, our very own LCP!!

PrOm NiGhT <3 <3

Love was in the air or not…well, I can’t say much about it but, yes the air was drugged with happiness. If there is something like getting “high on happiness”, well then I was really drunk on the happiness. I was giddy with joy and it all happened because I asked an EB member to dance with me and he did!! Like OMG!! When I went to ask him I was so scared but then I mustered up courage and went to him and said, “Can I have one dance with you?”

“Where is your prom?? You should be dancing with him!!” he replied as he kept his phone inside. The way he had kept his one hand on my shoulder in the cliché patronizing gesture of a school teacher, I so felt like a school kid at that moment. In that moment I thought that he would refuse and I felt like running away from that room. But, guess what?? I didn’t have to because the next moment he looked at me smiling and said, “Okay, I’ll dance with for 2 minutes and then you go back to your date”.

Oh yeah!! I didn’t shout out loud but I was actually going crazy. Finally, I had asked out him…a person who I was so scared of. I did it!! I conquered yet, another of my fears. The song on which we danced was “pehla nasha, pehla khumar”, it was the perfect song for the occasion. It was not the perfect song because of the cliché reason that I had some crazy crush on him; it was just that for me it was the first time that I had done something so out of my character. During the whole dance he tried to ask me a lot of things and I didn’t answer because I was so happy.

After dancing with him, I danced for quite a while with my friends. I slept at 5:40 am.

Day 3

It was the last day and a lot people were suffering from the last night hangover. I woke up at 8 am. Got ready and had my breakfast. I reached the conference on time but, I went out and ended up getting the coin punishment. Like seriously, I always end up screwing things. It was okay, after the punishments the whole day went on like the previous day. But, third day’s sessions focused more on self-introspection and strengthening the trust between the team members.

We discussed our weakest moments and first time everything fell in place. Till then the people who had been like strangers suddenly, became my confidante and secret bearers. Their stories told me so much about them. During the last 2 days I had asked a lot of questions because some of them were like open book but, there were some people who were giving me a really hard time. I was not able to figure them out. After that session it dawned on me that I was sitting with not some bunch “nobodies” but, with extraordinarily brave people who had won a lot of battles. Though, in the process of winning they were not unscathed. They had proud battle scars; some visible other invisible. They taught me that “life goes on” and with every problem you emerge out to be stronger and better version of yourself, one just has to hold on tight and never give up!! Also, the JFDI videos were shown. The best team and delegate were awarded too.

With all this and more our conference ended with a last party. We had an official department toast before the EB party. We all shared our experience and I finally got out of the hotel at 5:40am with my luggage. My managers and members were still dancing. I had said a quick goodbye to everyone I could meet. As the morning breeze entangled my hair I realized that it was not an ordinary day when I stepped onto this threshold, neither this conference was frivolous!!

I wanted the time to freeze but, life goes on and I had left behind a little piece of me in the form of sugar cubes for my YMM team.

My whole experience of SLC challenged all my pre-conceived notions about the world and its workings. My basic beliefs and principles were constantly challenged at every turn and there came a time when I felt like a misfit and suffered identity crisis. But, I didn’t give up and persisted on my way of life even when the whole order of my life was collapsing down. This SLC taught me not to quit on stuff, rather it showed me the other way which was not the conventional one but surely better than giving up.

This conference had redefined hope and optimism in my life. It taught me to not give up on my values rather modify them to cope up with this fast pace life. It taught me to be more adaptable and non-judgmental. It somewhere redefined the limits that I had set for myself and helped me to broaden my horizon and dream big!! I conquered most of my fears and became a better person than what I was last week!!

P.S. – I had an awesome director who was always there for us at the background; guiding us and motivating us throughout the 3 days!! We love you Mousumi Boro <3


No comments:

Post a Comment